This Week's Social Skill
Week of April 19, 2021
Dealing With An Accusation
1. Look at the person with a neutral facial expression.
2. Remain calm and monitor your feelings and behavior.
3. Listen carefully to what the other person is saying.
4. Acknowledge what the person is saying or that a problem exists.
5. Ask if this is the appropriate time to respond. Say, "May I respond to what you are saying?"
6. If the person says "Yes", respond truthfully and factually by either self-reporting, peer reporting, or honestly denying the accusation.
7. If the person says "No", delay your appropriate disagreement to a later time and continue to listen and acknowledge.