December 9th - 13th
1. Obey a request to stop a negative behavior.
When you obey a request to stop a negative behavior, you show that you can follow instructions. Being able to follow instructions is one form of showing respect.
• By stopping your negative behavior, you may avoid getting into trouble.
• There will always be people who have authority over you. You must do what they say.
2. Refrain from teasing, threatening, or making fun of others.
By refraining from such behaviors, it shows you understand that teasing, threatening, and making fun can be hurtful to others.
• If you are always making fun of people or threatening them, you won’t have many friends.
• People will think of you only as a tease, not as a nice person.
3. Allow others to have their privacy.
Sometimes people need or want to be alone. You show respect by following their wishes.
• Always knock before entering someone’s room or a room with a closed door.
• Honor someone’s desire to be left alone.
4. Obtain permission before using another person’s
You have certain possessions that are very important to you. You don’t want people using them without permission. When you ask permission to use others’ things, you show that same kind of respect.
• Always return items in the same condition as when you borrowed them.
• If you damage a borrowed item, offer to repair or replace it.
5. Do not damage or vandalize public property.
Vandalism and damaging property are against the law. Besides getting into trouble, you show disrespect for your community and country when you vandalize public property.
• Accidents do happen, but they always should be reported.
• Offer to replace or repair property you have damaged.
6. Refrain from conning or persuading others into
People will think less of you if you are always trying to take advantage of others or get them into trouble.
• If you use people, they won’t trust you.
• People don’t appreciate being manipulated.
7. Avoid acting obnoxiously in public.
You make a good impression with people when you show that you know how to behave and use proper social skills in public.
• Be on your best behavior in public. Don’t do things like cursing, swearing, spitting, or belching.
• Be courteous to others and mind your manners.
8. Dress appropriately when in public.
When in public, people are expected to look their best. When you live up to this expectation, you show that you are mature and understand society’s rules.
• Being well-groomed and well-dressed makes a good impression.
• Use good judgment when deciding what to wear. Where you are going usually dictates what you wear.