Welcome to Ms. Maria's First Grade Classroom...ONLINE Edition!Teacher: Ms. MariaEmail Address: email@example.comPhone Number: If you do not have my cell number, please email me and I will give it to you.Welcome first grade families!!I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of my first grade families. You have been so incredibly patient with me, as I learn how to best serve your children online. This pandemic situation has thrown us all for a loop. We'll continue to reach out and connect each day.Please note the following ways to get ahold of me, if you have any questions, suggestions or concerns:
I would like to check in with each family via email, text, Class Dojo or phone call on a weekly basis. I just want to make sure that you and your familes are doing okay. Let me know if you have any needs: technology, food assistance, housing assistance. I will try to track down the local resources that can help. Also, if there is something that is particularly effecting your child, please let me know. I will reach out as much as I can.What I can currently do:This list changes every day, but currently I am able to communicate with you and the first graders in the following ways:
- My Class Dojo account is open and functioning as it has all year. The site had difficulties on Monday morning, but those seem to have resolved.
- My EMAIL is firstname.lastname@example.org
- My CELL PHONE. If you do not have my cell number, please email me and I will give it to you. You may call or text at any time, and I will return texts and calls as soon as possible.
- Morning classroom zoom meetings are at 10:00 - 10:30 AM. If you do not have our zoom meeting link, please email me and I will send it to you. I cannot post the link online, for safety purposes. Each morning, I try to open up the meeting 10 minutes early so that the kids can get on and say hello, before I "mute" them and we start the meeting. The only reason I mute the kids is, when there are a lot of microphones open, there is a lot of feedback. Each day we're trying to read a story, do a dance party, and let the kids share things they are doing at home. I always try to leave time at the end to turn all the microphones on, and let the kids wave and say good-bye to each other.
- Show pictures of student work from home, on my web page. I would LOVE to share pictures of any artwork, craft, drawing or other projects that your child is doing at home. I cannot show student faces online, or student names. But if you take a picture of what they did, I have a new page called "Show and Tell" where I will post it. Simply take a picture of your child's work, and email it to me at email@example.com
- COMING SOON: Ms. Maria Cooks at Home! Since we cannot cook in the classroom together, I am working on making some simple videos and posting them on a new "Ms. Maria Cooks at Home" page. I am learning to make a video, upload it, and I will include typed out recipes and directions also. If your child makes any of the recipes, be sure to send me a picture and I can add it to that page!
- Sharing Links for you to use at home. I am working on providing links to fun kid sites, that you can access at home. If you have a site that your child enjoys using online for reading, math or science - email me the link and I'll check it out. These are just for fun, and NOT an assignment.
What I CANNOT do ... yet:
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDERS. Scholastic offers great kids’ books, at very reasonable prices. However, I do not know yet if book orders can be sent to student homes. I know I can get the books delivered to MY home. But I do not have a way to get those books to you, as school is closed and we are supposed to be staying at home.
- Providing any worksheets, books, journals, or other physical materials. This has been asked by many of you. So far, I still am not allowed to provide any at-home packets, materials, books, journals, etc. This may change in the future, and I will be certain to update you if it does. For now, the focus is on making sure that our kids are emotionally okay, and providing suggested activities that they can access online or do at home with materials that you have there.
- Meet privately with parents and/or students in an online video chat. I cannot have "private" zoom meetings at this time, with parents and/or students. I can do private messages on Class Dojo or email.
What parents can do:
- Help your child get into our online zoom meetings at 10:00.
- Text Ms. Maria right away if you are having trouble getting into the zoom meeting, and I will do my best to help.
- Email Ms. Maria pictures of what your first grader is doing at home, and I will upload it to the Show and Tell page. (No names, and no pictures of kids' faces please, for internet safety.)
- Contact Ms. Maria if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.
- Give your kids a huge hug, fist bump or high five - and say it was from me. I miss them!