Superintendent (Interim) Melissa Johnson
Educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers.
Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student’s unique potential.
Welcome to the Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District website. We are a PreK-12 school district, with 9 outstanding schools, serving an estimated 2,200 students. Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District focuses on educating and empowering students to be leaders, critical thinkers, and problem solvers by offering an education unique to individual needs that is traditional, enriched, and culturally responsive.
Our district offers many opportunities for students to earn their education. Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District provides single-site and combination settings for a student to earn a high school degree. Whether it is a traditional mainstream school setting, online learning setting, alternative school setting, advanced culturally-integrated setting, home school setting, career technical focus, or a combination of these, Ketchikan staff works diligently to meet students’ many educational needs according to their unique strengths and abilities.
KGBSD has a long history of strong academic, athletic, and extracurricular success that is directly connected to a dedicated and talented staff, innovative school-level leadership, a devoted board of education, active and strong parental involvement, and a supportive and generous community. Together we foster an educational culture of academic excellence, meaningful connections, and nurturing environments to maximize every student’s unique potential.
We are committed to providing a challenging curriculum, skilled instruction, and a learning environment that responds to individual student’s academic needs. Our efforts are guided by the belief that:
- Students excel when families are involved, when cultures are celebrated, and when the community is engaged.
- Every student deserves a supportive learning environment.
- All students have unique strengths and abilities.
- All district decisions are based on what is best for students.
- Every student should have opportunities to succeed.
- All students deserve a choice in their educational path, program and journey.
- All students deserve to feel safe and have a sense of belonging.
- It takes a community to educate a child.
- People are our greatest resource and demand our greatest efforts ~ leadership matters.
Superintendent: Melissa Johnson
Administrative Assistant: Dawna Hull
Mailing Address: 333 Schoenbar Road, Ketchikan Alaska 99901
Physical Location: Ketchikan High School 2610 Fourth Avenue
Office Hours: 8am to 4:30pm