The federal Indian Education Act grant funds two district preschools for Alaska Native and American Indian students. The preschools are located at the Ketchikan Pioneers Home and Fawn Mountain Elementary.
- The primary goal of Native preschool is to provide a language-based program that will prepare your child for Kindergarten.
- Your child will have the opportunity to learn and grow through a variety of experiences in a safe environment with certified teachers. Learning experiences happen through play, exploration, books, songs, finger plays, puppets, discussions, games and art projects. Each month we emphasize theme teaching and focus on learning concepts.
- 8:00 to Noon, Monday through Friday. We follow the district's yearly calendar.
- Bus service is provided to your neighborhood school only.
- This program is provided free of charge. This program is not income based. Class sizes are small for more individual attention.
- Up to date immunization records
- Birth certificate
- Documentation of Alaska Native or American Indian heritage (eligibility form available at school)
- Child must be toilet trained prior to enrollment
- Fawn Mountain Elementary - 228-2200 or the School District's Administrative Offices (Federal Programs) - 247-2137.
Pioneers Home Preschool information
IEA Preschool Demographics