Houghtaling Elementary Conflict Mediators ProgramWHAT ARE CONFLICT MEDIATORS?
Conflict Mediators are trained students who help other students resolve conflicts by giving them the opportunity to take part in solving their own problem.
WHAT DO CONFLICT MEDIATORS DO?
When students are involved in a non-physical dispute, the Conflict Mediators ask those involved if they would like some help solving their problem. By agreeing to use Conflict Mediators’ help, the students are guided through a problem-solving process to identify the problem and reach a solution that will be satisfactory to all involved. The Conflict Mediators have a guide they are trained to use to help them through the process, along with some patience and good listening skills.
WHAT WILL CONFLICT MEDIATORS LEARN IN TRAINING?
1. Leadership skills
2. Communication skills (how to express feelings and needs and how to listen well without taking sides)
3. Problem solving skills
4. How to improve our school environment and keep it safe
5. How to assume responsibility for their own actions
BENEFITS OF THE CONFLICT MEDIATORS PROGRAM
- Conflict Mediators gain confidence in their ability to help themselves.
- Conflict Mediators learn to get along better at home and at school.
- Conflict Mediators grades often improve.
- Other students learn from the Conflict Mediators how to work out problems and get along.
- Arguments decrease, so students spend more time learning.
- Students and teachers are able to work together in a more friendly, relaxed way.
- The student role in school community service is noted, giving him/her experience for future volunteer service.
BENEFITS FOR FAMILIES
The problem solving process Conflict Mediators use often carries over into the family life. Parents and students have reported that some of these skills have been used at home to help solve some problems more effectively.