My name is Maria Neufeldt, and I have happily been teaching first grade at Ketchikan Charter School since 2006. Prior to moving to Ketchikan, my family and I spent three years living and teaching in Hooper Bay, Alaska – a small Yup’ik Eskimo village on the Bering Sea coast.I was born and raised in Oregon. My husband, Tom Neufeldt, teaches second grade at Ketchikan Charter School. Our son, Dan, is a junior at Ketchikan High School - and taller than both of us!
Parent Volunteer Opportunities
- Come in and help us cook on Fridays! If we do a crockpot recipe, we cook at 8:00 AM in the morning, and serve it at 12:30 in the afternoon. Shorter recipes are made and served in the afternoons, starting at 12:30 PM.
- Send in $5 a month, if you are able, for snacks and recipe ingredients.
- Send in supplies that are requested in the weekly newsletter.
- Contribute a recipe for our cookbook, and come in to help cook it for us on Fridays! (We will change our schedule for this!!)
- Putting stickers on completed student papers, and putting papers in student mailboxes.
- Help with special events (Halloween/Pajama Day, Winter Program, 100th Day, holiday parties, Beach Day.)
- Spend your lunch hour with us! Play with kids at recess and eat with your child in the classroom (11:00 -12:00 each day).
- Come in and visit any time, help out or just observe in the classroom. We do projects several times per week in the afternoon.
How do you reach the teacher?
Clear communication is the best way to have a positive teacher/parent relationship.
Please do email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you have. I will be able to get back to you, usually the same day. You may also put a note in your child’s homework folder. I will also be using Class Dojo this year, and that allows you to recieve texts throughout the day.